These are so fun to create when Hallloween rolls around. Yes, the jalapeños do take a little work, but using the pizza cutter to slice the crescent roll dough is so slick, it makes up for it!
12 large jalapeños
8 oz. cream cheese, softened (may use low fat cream cheese, if desired)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
3 scallions, finely minced, green parts only
1 can crescent roll dough
1 egg, beaten
googley eyes, edible type if possible
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the top off each jalapeño, lengthwise, leaving the stem in tact on the jalapeño base. Using a paring knife and a small spoon, carefully remove the membrane and seeds from each jalapeño. (If desired, mince the jalapeño tops to use in the cream cheese filling.)
2. To prepare the filling, mix cream cheese, cheddar, garlic, scallions and jalapeños in a small bowl until well combined. Using a small spoon, fill the cavity of each jalapeño full of prepared filling.
3. Unroll crescent roll dough, leaving it in one large sheet, pressing the perforations together with your fingers. Using a pizza cutter, cut the sheet of crescent roll dough into long thin strips.
4. Wrap each stuffed jalapeño with crescent roll strips, criss-crossing them to look like mummy bandages, leaving a space to add the eyes after mummies are baked. Place each mummy onto a greased baking sheet; gently brush each mummy with beaten egg.
5. Bake, uncovered, on center rack of oven for 15-20 minutes or until mummies are golden brown; add eyes and serve! (If using non-edible eyes, warn your guests in case they’ve partaken in Halloween “beverages”.)