I’ve been making these fabulous little “goodies” so long, I have no idea where I ever even got the recipe! Originally, I made them for a tea party and everyone was just ga-ga, so I began making them as part of my Christmas treat trays and now we have folks expecting them each year. That’s a sign of a super-duper “keeper” recipe, wouldn’t you say??
1 pkg. yellow cake mix, approx. 15 oz.
½ cup butter, melted
½ cup sliced toasted almonds
12 oz. jar apricot preserves, warmed
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. almond extract
1 cup reserved base mixture
½ cup flaked coconut, toasted
¼ cup sliced toasted almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (325 degrees F. if using a glass baking dish). Generously spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- To prepare base, combine cake mix and butter in a large mixing bowl, using a hand-mixer at low speed; mix just until crumbly. Stir in almonds; reserve 1 cup of this mixture. Press remaining base mixture over bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Carefully spread warmed preserves over base, leaving an edge of about 1/4-inch all the way around.
- In the same mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese with the sugar, flour and salt; beat in egg and vanilla until mixture is smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture over preserves layer.
- To prepare the topping, combine the reserved cup of the base mixture with flaked coconut and ¼ cup sliced almonds; sprinkle over the top of the cream cheese layer.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown and center is set. Cool at least 1 hour before cutting into bars or fingers. Store in refrigerator, but best served at room temperature.
Now You’re Cookin’,