Home-grown berries are one of the best things about summer. Use whatever combination of berries that you prefer – sliced peaches are a nice addition to the mix, as well.
1 pint blueberries
1 pint red raspberries
2 pints strawberries
½ cup sugar
zest of 1 lemon
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
½ cup vegetable shortening, chilled and cut into pieces
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon whipping cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar, for garnish
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To Prepare The Berries:
Gently wash and drain the berries. After de-stemming strawberries, slice and combine with blueberries and raspberries in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and lemon zest and stir to combine. Set fruit aside in refrigerator to macerate for at least 1 hour, but not longer than 4 hours.
To Prepare the Shortcakes:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In the mixing bowl of a food processor, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add chilled butter and shortening pieces and pulse food processor to combine with dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly.
- Combine buttermilk with vanilla extract and lemon zest; pour into the bowl of the food processor. Pulse food processor until liquid is incorporated into the dry ingredients, taking care not to overwork the dough.
- Remove dough from the food processor bowl and place onto a lightly floured work surface. Gather dough into a mound and gently knead for 10 seconds, adding just enough extra flour to keep hands from sticking to dough. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to 1 ½” thickness and cut out 8 equal rounds with biscuit cutter. Place rounds onto greased baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, brush tops of each round with whipping cream and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 20-25 minutes (or 15-18 minute for mini shortcakes) or until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
To Prepare Whipping Topping:
Place a small mixing bowl into the freezer for 20 minutes. Remove from freezer and add whipping cream, vanilla extract and sugar. Using an electric hand mixer or a large whisk, whip ingredients until they thicken and doubles in volume.
Using a serrated bread knife, split each shortcake in half. Spoon some of the berry juices over the bottom half of the shortcake, then mound a spoonful of berries on top, finishing with a dollop of whipped cream. Cover with shortcake top and serve at once.
Makes 12-15 mini shortcakes or 8 large shortcakes
Now You’re Cookin’,